Thursday, October 21, 2010

Dub Let It Pass Me By

Tonight I'm doing a lounge performance. I'm playing on a bill with Danbert Nobacon of the Chumbawamba collective. It should be a good night, video forthcoming.
One of the songs I play is "Don't Let It Pass Me By" which is about a bus, tattoos, zombies, and sports. I originally recorded it with a trombone chorus on the tape in the foreground. Tonight I will play my current favorite version. Then I was messing with timing and came across this version here:




You can hear where the delay happens at the beginning, with a slight Eb oscillation in the other delay popping in between with the FdbK headset.
At around 2 minutes, I start arpeggiating up triads at 2/3rds the speed of the delay so it ends up arpeggiating down the triad three to a delay time.
For example, say delay time has a length of 3dt. If I play Ab at 1dt, C at 3dt, and Eb at 5dt (which is equivalent to 2dtmod3).
starting at 2dt, we then have Eb, C, Ab, which is the Ab, C, Eb triad in the other direction, but twice as fast. Hard to sing to, I must say, since each phrase kicks in on the third beat of me playing the triad. It's so hard to wait! More timing tricks forthcoming, but more mindbending. I think tempos at 5/8ths of the delay time is involved, we'll have to see when I get a chance.

If YOU get a chance, come see Charmaine's Names tonight at the Greenline. Don't be a baby, it's just West Philly, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment